Mass Deploying Lenovo NetFilter for Chromebooks
This guide walks site administrators through the process of deploying the Lenovo NetFilter extension to students using Chromebooks and assigning a filtering policy.
- Lenovo NetFilter Site Administrator access
- Google Admin Console access to the Google Workspace domain the students are using
Log into Lenovo NetFilter
From the left navigation menu, select Policies.
Under Policies, select Groups.
Confirm the Group name that you will use to filter student Chromebooks (e.g. email@example.com).
Sign in to Google Admin
Sign in to the Google Admin console for your organization's G Suite domain by going to https://admin.google.com/
. You must login with an administrator account that has permission to manage User & Browser settings
and Apps & Extensions
policies for the student accounts in your domain.
The remaining steps cannot be completed without signing in to the Google Admin console.
In Google Admin, select the Devices icon.
Under the Devices
menu, navigate to Chrome > Apps & Extensions > Users & Browsers.
Select the organizational unit (OU) that contains the student user accounts to which to deploy the Lenovo NetFilter extension for Chromebooks.
Force Install the Lenovo NetFilter Chrome Extension
On the USERS & BROWSERS page, hover over the Add
icon at the bottom right.
Select the Add Chrome app or extension by ID
Enter the unique Extension ID based on your version of NetFilter and your geographic location:
- North America: joiaioaajglikblacdoccnmhmmfiebbp
- Europe: ipfpifojkncienknljodopbagjdjjhaa
- NetFilter Plus
- PLEASE NOTE: For NetFilter Plus on Chromebooks, they must be running ChromeOS 64-bit due to memory and processing requirements.
- North America: mgjphhfodaiaedgepinmjnbhhaenengl
- Europe: andkdfohfonkdaibpjipchnidjclinpe
- Ensure that From a Custom URL is selected in the list.
- Enter the following URL based on your version of NetFilter and your geographic location:
- North America: https://nf-client-public.s3.amazonaws.com/NetFilter/NA/chrome/nsfilter.xml
- Europe: https://nf-client-public.s3.amazonaws.com/NetFilter/EU/chrome/nsfilter.xml
- NetFilter Plus
- North America: https://nf-client-public.s3.amazonaws.com/NetFilter_Plus/NA/chrome/nsfilter.xml
- Europe: https://nf-client-public.s3.amazonaws.com/NetFilter_Plus/EU/chrome/nsfilter.xml
- Select SAVE.
- In the list next to the newly added extension ID, select Force install as the Installation Policy.
- Select the extension and enter the appropriate JSON configuration in the Policy for extensions field. NOTE: Replace groupname@orgname with the Group name you verified in the Log into Lenovo NetFilter section (near the top of this article).
Chromebook JSON Policy for North America:
Chromebook JSON Policy for Europe:
- Set the Update URL to Installation URL
- Select SAVE at the top right of the page.
- To test the configuration:
- Login to a Chromebook as a user that resides in the OU where this policy is applied.
- Navigate to chrome://extensions
- The "Lenovo NetFilter" or "Lenovo NetFilter Plus" extension should appear as installed
- Navigate to chrome://policy
- The appropriate JSON configuration policy will be applied
Deploying Lenovo NetFilter Client Using Intune
Overview The Lenovo NetFilter for Windows client supports a number of different deployment methods and tools an MSI installer. See Installing Lenovo NetFilter Using Command Line for more detailed instructions. Please note that our support team can ...
Why is my extension installing on all Chrome browsers instead of just Chromebooks?
The default method to deploy an extension via the Google Admin is by assigning that extension to an OU where extensions are deployed to the user account. This means that anytime that account is used to log in to a Chrome instance, whether that be ...
Installing Lenovo NetFilter Using Windows Command Line
Overview This article explains how to install the Lenovo NetFilter client on an individual device via Command Line. For instructions on deploying the Lenovo NetFilter client to a large number of devices, see Deploying Lenovo NetFilter Client Using ...
Installing Lenovo NetFilter for Windows devices
Overview This article explains how to install the Windows client on an individual student device. You must have local administrator rights to install software on the student devices in order to perform the steps below. Run the Lenovo NetFilter ...
Installing Lenovo NetFilter for macOS Devices
Overview This article explains how to install the macOS client on an individual student device (MacBook, iMac, etc.). You must have local administrator rights to install software on the student devices in order to perform the steps below. Run the ...